Monday, July 26, 2010

finding a rythmn

Travelling offers the rare opportunity to be pushed outside of one's comfort zone, stretched beyond the familiar routine of one's day at home, and  thrown away from the familiarities that gives us shelter. Though homey and safe, the routine we form at home sometimes stunts us, and we forget how to be adventurous.

Travelling gives us the opportunities to be adventurous, to take advantage of a moment that might seem uncomfortable, strange, or scary, and turn it into a moment where we gain power over those fears, feelings of anxiety or homesickness, and turn it into something freeing and expanding.

Travelling offers us many different experiences and senses that we cant get at home. We are confronted with different struggles and emotions, and range over a broad spectrum day to day. But being able to take those uncomfortable moments, and turn them into an challenge to over come; a learning lesson in itself to grow and let go of those unnecessary fears and restraints. It gives us those few and brief moments to live very richly. And by that, I mean we live beyond our inner and repetitive dialogue. We get outside of ourselves, to meet new and different people, to see new places, to taste new things and overcome new challenges with grace. Not to say we don't have these same opportunities at home, but sometimes without a push or shove to change, it is easy to stay in one place and not notice the endless beautiful and thrilling things before us.

For me, this change is coming slowly, like a young spring flower, my bud is still closed, ready to open but still unsure of when or how. Leaving home my head was in a blur and my heart was scared of the unknown. I knew if I wanted my head and heart to be in sync and get to a clearer place, I needed to grow. I needed a change. But I had not regained my 'adventerous legs' back quite yet, and some quiet time surrounded by loving family, good food, and the beautiful country of Ireland would allow me to take a breath and reground myself. Being with family has been good, but I also enjoy being solitary person at times. Happy to be alone for hours, even days sometimes; I know that finding alone time each day is vital to my mental happiness and clarity.

So, everyday I take time out to be alone. Usually it is in the morning, when things are slow. I put on my running shoes, grab my waterproof shell, and set off down the muddy dirt drive way and onto the road that bends around the endless coastline.  My legs don't feel as strong as they did back home when I was running and swimming everyday. But an hour run in the mornings and sometimes again in the afternoons, brings back the joy to feeling my muscles move my body forward.

I never thought I could enjoy it before, but running in the rain is something I see myself falling in love with. Breathing in the seaside air, drying sea weed, the dankness of the fields and smell of wet wool from the sheep cover the inside of my nostrils. The cold rain runs down my bare legs and clings to my hair and face. Its very different from running the trails or beach's of Santa Barbara, and my senses are introduced to new things, but my legs work the same, and my lungs still burn the same, my cheeks are still become flushed, and I still find myself smiling for how quick the hour on the pavement goes by.

2 comments:

  1. good morning bridget sounds like you have wings on your heels. the emerald island and the old sod.well we awoke to seagulls and mockingbird and the gray wet fog of shell beach. think of you every day darlin. pop

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, if you keep running twice a day for an hour at a time, you're gonna start to feel as strong as one of those Irish Draft Horses you've been riding.

    ReplyDelete