Tuesday, July 13, 2010

A Week with the Knights of Malta

A month after graduating from UCSB I packed my bag-- and then bought a plane ticket and got on a plane headed for Wales, with a quick stop on the way in NYC to see an old friend. In between that chaotic rush of trying to get organized for this trip, enjoying my last summer days in Santa Barbara, an email I sent back in May finally followed up with a reply: they wanted me as a volunteer.

So here I am. Wednesday night sitting in a little internet cafe surrounded by new friends, out in the middle of the Pembrokeshire country side, with the rain softly drifting down outside.

A week ago I left Santa Barbara for a trip, pitifully half-assed and weakly planned, awkwardly jumped into, leaving me feeling right before getting on the plane, hesitant and worried, with the ache of regret shivering down my spine.

What I didn't expect was how quickly I was able to separate the travel anxieties and worries from hindering me to live in the present. Maybe my past (not so comforable) trips to Panama, Honduras and Bolivia have gotten me used to it. But also thanks to a good friend who I always have a blast with, my worries quickly floated away, and I jumped into what was actually going on. The two days in NYC left me feeling like I had partied for a week straight, accompianied by rich food, strong drinks and lots of laughter to keep my head, liver and tummy sore for days. But it was worth it, and I got to make up my sleep on the flight over to London. Thank you Caitlin for wrapping me up in your NYC life...until next time!


The past four days I have been working as a volunteer at the 27th Order of Malta International Holiday Camp in Great Britain. There are over four hundred campers and volunteers this summer, coming from 20 countries. Only 5 of us make up the American team, where all the other groups are here in the 20s. The American team is the smallest, as it has been for the past few years. But that doesnt affect how we are quickly engulfed by the veteran campers who radiate energy and happiness that shows how much they simply enjoy being here. For those of you that don't know, the Order of Malta is...wikipedia it. Just kidding...here's a little info on it:

Since the 11th century, the Order of Malta has cared for the sick, the needy and refugees, with total impartiality. The Order has sovereign status which puts it in a unique position to carry out humanitarian work effectively. It has permanent observer status at the UN and other international forums and diplomatic relations with over 100 countries, and can respond immediately to disasters worldwide. Currently the Order of Malta has 13,000 members and 59 organisations worldwide.


Its hard to explain with words what experiencing these past 4 days has been like. Its been a wave of new emotional, mindful, and spiritual experiences constantly; I am exhuasted. I've had to fight back the tears more times that I can count...everyone here leaves me in awe of their kindness and happiness to be alive no matter their circumstance. And the other helpers, who are always watching over their guests that are severely physically disabled and handicapped, leave me in awe just the same. It literally has shocked me. I dont know how else to describe it.

Something is moving me, and its not exactly the common Christian principles among us all, but just being around everyone here and the joy they share with all those they meet or pass by showing their big smiles.

Every moment I am around everyone I feel it changing my perspective of how I see people's real capability to live. And to live fully.

Here is a quick video of what one of our days at camp have been like.


IHC2010 Great Britain Tuesday from ihc2010 on Vimeo.

1 comment: